Rechargeable Battery Service  

PRIMECELL Div. ~ CUNARD ASSOCIATES Inc. ~ Proud to be American

 

  HOW DO I KNOW WHEN A BATTERY IS ACTUALLY BAD

 X

 

WHEN IS A  BATTERY BAD?


It is not easy to define, but here's some help.  

Usually a battery is unusable, if after charging, it self discharges to a level of less than 1 volt per cell. 

Or, if when it is charged it cannot not reach a voltage of 1.4 per cell when still on the charger.

These are indications that the battery has lost it's ability to be recharged.

If a battery seems to be able to charge, but it no longer runs as long as it did?  It probably has lost it's ability to absorb capacity.  (Memory phenomenon).

It's worth a try to condition this type battery by performing repeated exercise cycles.  Fully discharge it (to 1 volt per cell), then fully charge it, and repeat the process at least 3 times.  

If little improvement is noticed - send it to us - it is ready for the recycle bin.

We DO NOT recommend "zapping" a battery with high voltage or current as a means to revive it.  Please don't do this to your valuable equipment.  There is little to be gained - and much to be concerned about - including the danger of personal injury.


If your battery is working properly - here is what to expect with a healthy high capacity battery after rebuilding.

Notes about using our High capacity NiMh rebuilds

The battery is not charged when you receive it.

The cells may be much larger in capacity that those originally used.
If the battery has been converted from NiCd to NiMh
it is common to see 2 to 3 times as much operating time.

If using an over night (16 Hr ) charger - Charge it at least 24 hours for a maximum charge.  Remove it after charging.

If using a smart (quick) charger allow it to finish charging. 
The first time the battery is quick charged - it may not be full.  This is normal with NiMh cells - when they are new - they must be activated by 2 to 3 charge cycles ( charge and discharge ) After activation, they will reach maximum capacity with a normal quick charge.

Over charging ( until hot ) is prevented by the addition of thermal switching which we install with all NiCd to NiMh conversions. You do not have to worry about leaving the battery on the charger - however ... you must understand that
excessive charging ( without discharging ) will result in shorter product life.

If the battery feels warm to the touch, it is very likely that the thermal switch has already activated to prevent over heating.  The battery may appear to be defective when over heated.  Allow an hour for the cells to cool. Once the thermal protection resets, the battery will work normally.  It is fully charged and ready for use.

Do not leave it on the charger - unless you are going to use it every day.

Once removed from the charger;
The battery will self discharge as much as 1% per day.
After 30 days it will have 70 % charge left - a full charge can be restored in 8 hours.
After 90 days it will have only 10 % charge left - a 24 hour charge must be performed before use.

When use of the appliance reveals that the battery is low -  Do not continue to further discharge it. 
If the unit is left on after the battery is low - this can cause deep discharge, and may result in permanent damage to the cells.

For other user information follow the original owners manual - and substitute 24 hours for the 14 to 16 hour charge time.

Thanks, 
TechNotes@primecell.com

 

 

 X

 About Primecell   X  Battery service ?  X Frequent questions

 X

How to send your battery for rebuild service

 X eBay Iistings

 X

 Get a quotation    X  Email order form  X Search for a battery
 

PRIMECELL DIVISION,  CUNARD ASSOCIATES INC.,
9343 US RT 220  BEDFORD, PA 15522

Copyright 2000  Primecell . All rights reserved.
Revised:June 05, 2006